Believe It Or Not: Trendy Backpacks
March 17, 2012 § 18 Comments
Backpacks. They have been off the fashion radar for a while but due to their functionality have remained an essential item for many despite lack of trendiness. Indeed if you have a lot on your shoulders (pardon the pun) backpacks allow you to spread the weight – hence they are perfect for things like hiking (I am not going to expand on the topic, hiking/camping and other outside activities have never been my thing). And despite some people’s aversion towards this type of bag, even a few celebrities known for their style choices have been spotted with backpacks repeatedly. For example Rihanna who changes hair colour every other week (I’m not judging, I wish I could pull off just as many shades) has surprisingly remained true to backpacks as you could see on the pictures below.
But we all know – fashion trends rarely engage themselves with notions of utility. This season though is an exception. Backpacks suddenly became the hottest way to carry your essentials and have been spotted on catwalks of major designers ever since Spring Summer 12 shows. And fashion’s sudden love of backpacks might be slowly making my heart melt towards them- and to prove it I found a selection of backpacks I would not mind having. To tell you the truth even though I do consider some designer backpacks quite cool (I am not completely turned) I would not pay for its hefty price tag even if money was not an option (The Row, £2635 for example) because at the end of the day – it is still a backpack (all horrible images of what camping must be like flood my head).
Nevertheless here is the selection of backpacks for any budget – and if I like them, chances are you would absolutely love one or two!
- Asos Leather & Print Backpack, £70
- Paul Smith Floral Printed Backpack, £280
- Diane Von Furstenberg Printed Canvas and Leather Backpack, £225
- Asos Ice Cream Backpack, £35
- Topshop Frost Plastic Backpack, £25
- Essl Austrian Backpack, £58 at farfetch.com
- Topshop Unique Leather Rucksack, £180
- Barbour Caramel Canvas Beacon Backpack, £159
- The Row Leather Backpack, £2635
- Zara Vintage Backpack, £119
- River Island Navy Pocket Rucksack, £28
- Fleet Ilya Linked Strap Rucksack, £1019 at farfetch.com